Collagen supplements: menopause relief made simple
Women can usually tell they have entered menopausal transition by certain signs and symptoms. Things like irregular periods and hot flushes are very common early signs, but they symptoms of menopause can become more varied and uncomfortable over time. Women may experience things like depression, loss of bone density and accelerated signs of ageing including wrinkles, sagging skin, thinning hair and brittle nails. There are many different forms of treatment available to target individual symptoms, but are collagen supplements menopause-relieving panaceas that could help with multiple symptoms at once? We think so!
Menopause relief: a complicated journey
No medical treatment is offered for menopause itself. It is a natural part of a woman’s life, but it presents a number of symptoms and can be a contributing factor to certain chronic conditions that occur with ageing. As such, women are frequently offered a range of treatments to help with individual issues. Hormone therapy is one such treatment, primarily aimed at relieving the hot flushes that occur as a consequence of diminishing oestrogen levels. Oestrogen is sometimes administered directly to the vagina to relieve the discomfort of vaginal dryness that many women experience.
The problem with hormone therapy is that, in the long-term, it has been shown to have some cardiovascular and breast cancer risks. This is concerning for some women and may lead them to avoid the treatment altogether, meaning they get no relief from those symptoms.
Other treatments that are frequently offered include:
• Antidepressants to help with mood changes relating to the hormonal transitions that are occurring in the body. These may also offer some relief for hot flushes.
• Gebapentin – a drug that is primarily used to treat seizures but has also been shown to help with hot flushes in some women during menopause.
• Clonidine, a medication aimed at treating high blood pressure which, again, has been used to relieve hot flushes.
• Osteoporosis medications – another issue with declining oestrogen levels is that bone density may be lost over time, and this increases the risk of osteoporosis as well as fractures.
Many women are offered multiple medications, each targeting specific issues associated with the menopause. You could find yourself taking various medications and having different treatments, complicating your life and potentially causing other side effects that you have to live with. What’s more, as you may have noticed, none of these treatments offer any assistance with issues like wrinkles and sagging skin, thinning hair, brittle nails or other age-related issues like joint pain. So you would have to go looking for various creams, shampoos, supplements and remedies that may offer some benefits on these fronts.
But what if we told you there was something that may offer benefits in all these areas?
Collagen supplements: menopause relief without all the hassle
Collagen is an abundant protein that supports the health of many tissues and functions in our bodies. It plays a key role in the building, strengthening and repairing our skin, joints, bones, hair, nails and coronary system. Collagen levels in our bodies decline with age, but menopause can cause this to accelerate alongside the drop in oestrogen levels. This is partly why women frequently experience accelerated signs of ageing during menopause, but it doesn’t have to be this way.
A high-quality collagen supplement is taken orally and contains a high dose of collagen peptides. These are amino acid chains we get from breaking down whole collagen molecules – we do this because the complete molecules are very difficult for our bodies to absorb, but collagen peptides can be absorbed easily. They then provide our bodies with the fuel we need to stimulate greater collagen production and replenish our declining collagen levels and fight back against the signs of ageing.
Targeting symptoms of menopause
Lower oestrogen levels in your body have various side effects, and one of the most concerning for the long term is the loss of bone density. We mentioned that your doctor might prescribe certain medications to help reduce the risk of this leading to osteoporosis, but one thing you might not know is that around 80% of bone is collagen. So a collagen supplement may actually help maintain bone density without medication, meaning you won’t need to worry about side effects or putting drugs into your system unnecessarily.
Other direct symptoms of menopause that collagen supplements may help with include:
• Aching, inflamed joints: by diminishing your oestrogen and collagen levels, menopause accelerates the signs of ageing. This goes beyond signs you can see on the outside – it includes stiffness and soreness in our joints. The quality and quantity of the tissues in cartilage, as well as tendons and ligaments, suffers from the low levels of collagen, causing pain and inflammation. Essentially, over time, collagen supplements relive menopause-related symptoms in the joints by replenishing collagen levels to improve the function of the tissues in our joints.
• Wrinkles and reduced skin elasticity: visible signs of ageing in our skin are normal as we get older, but the issues with oestrogen and collagen levels during menopause can cause this to accelerate. Since the issues with your skin – we’re talking wrinkles, sagging, dryness, dullness – are primarily caused by a lack of collagen, supplementation with oral collagen peptides is a simple solution. In as little as 2 months, you could start to experience improvements in the appearance of fine lines as well as improved firmness and elasticity in your skin.
• Weak, brittle hair and nails: another victim of the drop in collagen caused by menopause is your hair and nails. Without healthy skin supporting the hair follicles and nail cuticles, the production of keratin diminishes. Moreover, there will be inadequate hydration where it is needed, so everything becomes dry, brittle, dull and lifeless. Collagen supplements can help with this by restoring a more youthful level of collagen to keep these systems operating healthily.
The benefits of reducing pain in the joints are obvious for everyday life. Some may argue that the issues with your skin, hair and nails are purely cosmetic, but why should women have to accept a rapid decline in their youthful appearance when there is something they can do to slow it down? Collagen supplements can yield all these benefits, and there is also evidence that they can help with other things that suffer during menopause, such as:
• Sleep quality
• Energy levels
• Gut health
• Your weight
Kollo marine collagen supplements: menopause-busting power
At Kollo, we have a long list of satisfied customers, many of whom are women going through menopause. We offer a liquid collagen supplement offered in daily sachets that you can drink straight from the sachet, add to water, juice or smoothies to make a delicious drink infused with 10 grams of premium grade, powerful marine collagen.
We call it marine collagen because the collagen peptides within are derived from the skin and scales of fish. These fish are reared in ethical, clean aquaculture fish farms to be used as food – the skin and scales are a by-product of this, meaning the practice of sourcing collagen is very sustainable. The collagen is extracted from the fish using a chemical-free, enzymatic process before hydrolysis is used to break that collagen down into the highly bioavailable collagen peptides. These are then added to the Kollo liquid formula along with some complementary nutrients like B vitamins and vitamin C that are known to support collagen synthesis.
The unique benefits of Kollo include:
• High grade, pure marine type I collagen peptides with no toxic contaminants
• Marine collagen is the most bioavailable, and the liquid suspension means no digestion is needed to absorb the nutrients
• Consistent daily dosage of 10 grams for maximum benefits
• Accompanying nutrients are proven to help stimulate and accelerate collagen synthesis
• Simple and convenient to add to water and drink
• Natural flavourings mean it has a great taste
The benefits of collagen supplements for menopause symptoms are many, and there is a wealth of scientific research to support them. The key is choosing a collagen supplement that is effective, easy to assimilate and doesn’t put a strain on your body (or contain any harmful contaminants or ingredients). Kollo ticks all those boxes and will deliver a potent dose of collagen into your body in a way that facilitates fast, effective collagen production in your body.
Many of our customers begin experiencing noticeable improvements in some of their menopause symptoms in as little as 4-12 weeks, so it is definitely worth trying to see if you have the same experience.
Collagen supplements and menopause: final thoughts
The menopause is a challenging part of life for many women, but easing the symptoms doesn’t have to be an uphill battle. If you want to learn more about Kollo, we invite you to peruse our blog and look at the many benefits in detail. We have won numerous awards and gained countless 5-star reviews from verified buyers and we are listed as an Amazon’s Choice product on Amazon UK.
If you still have any questions, please get in touch and our team will be happy to help.